These egg bites are a game-changer! Who doesn't love a high-protein snack for the trail?
Make them to toss in your backpack for a day hike, pack in your cooler for a camping trip, or freeze them to warm up for a quick breakfast!
Let's start with the ingredients. This recipe is so awesome because you can pretty much sub any of the ingredients to meet your preferences. Below are a few easy substitutes:
- Onion: shallots, scallons, celery
- Bell pepper: jalapeno, poblano
- Spinach: mixed greens, arugula, kale
- Mushrooms: zucchini, squash, eggplant, artichoke hearts
- Ground turkey: ground chicken, beef, or tofu
- Parmesan cheese: pretty much any other cheese would work!
- 7 large eggs
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 2/3 cup diced mushrooms
- 3/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 2/3 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 cup of cooked ground turkey
- 1 tsp dried thyme or oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400°F and grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, add eggs and whisk briefly.
- Add all other ingredients & combine.
- Spoon mixture into muffin tin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Be sure that the egg is cooked through!
- Let them cool for 5 minutes, remove from tin, and enjoy!
Walk With Giants in California
Dan Heller published 26 Oct